Thursday, February 5, 2009

Aloha!

So there hasn't been much going on since the last time I posted but I thought I could update everyone on what I've been doing during this beautiful weather...well, for the most part.

On Tuesday I had the great idea to find out where the libraries are so I can use the internet and printers to get my resume ready. It's only about a 5-10 minute walk from my place (although that's a very rough guesstimate...I don't pay attention to the time much around here) which I was very excited about. I had slept in that day and decided to take my time getting ready. I noticed sun streaming in through my bedroom window so I assumed it was nice outside. I dressed in some jeans, a cute tank and my slippahs. I was smart enough to bring a hoodie along for the ride, just in case. I head down the stairs and realize that I was very wrong about the weather so I quickly throw on the hoodie and continue on my adventure to the library. Let me just say that I think it was windy enough to have Auntie Em's house land on me!! I was being hurried along from behind from Mr. Wind, himself all the way to the library. Now, mind you, since I took my time getting ready, that also means I blow dried my hair. Hahaha. I soon realize that was pointless. After what seemed like the walk of a century, I finally arrive at my destination and apply for my sacred library card. Being ever so helpful the man behind the counter suggests I go grab my rental agreement to prove I live here so my card will be free (versus $10). I agree that would be the best decision and head back out into the blustery, drizzly, but very warm weather. I get home and there I stay. For the remainder of the day.

Yesterday I woke up all gung-ho for the library. I really wanted to get started passing out resumes to potential employers. I rise early, go for a morning run (up the same never-ending hill) and realize what a nice day out it is! I hurry home, shower and throw on a bikini, telling myself that I'll go to the library and get something done and head to the beach. I say screw the rental agreement and just pay the $10 visitor fee. I'm in a hurry to get to the beach at this point! Just when I think I'll be fairly productive I'm foiled by the lousy internet. At this point, I say screw it, again, and head down to the beach!! I stop at Ala Moana Center and purchase some delicous mochi (they make it fresh in the food court, it's amazing!), some coffee from Starbucks and a half a sandwhich. By the time I make it to the beach the clouds have come in ever so slightly. A little bummed but not deterred, I spread out my towel and cozy up to a new book (just started "The Friday Night Knitting Club" for those of you curious as to what I'm reading). After a couple hours, when the sun has began to sink a little, I head out to find some fleece. I want to make a no-sew blanket for my roomie who had mentioned she got a little chilly the other night. I make it to Fabric Mart. Wow. I've never seen a fabric store like it! Two stories. And all the Hawaiiana print you could ever imagine! But. The fleece selection is lacking and after I "ooo" and "ahhh" over all the pretty tropical cottons, I head out. Back to the bus...and back home.

On my way home, my friend Charles calls me and we plan to meet up for dinner. He picks me up and we go down to Chinatown to a little French (yay Julia!) restaurant called Du Vin. I ordered the grilled fish du jour (which just so happened to be Ahi!) and had a glass of delicious Syrah from Down Under. We catch up over bread and wine and then he shows me a little more of Chinatown. For the second time, First Friday is mentioned. It's where the art galleries stay open late and serve wine and all the bars get crazy like! I'm pretty excited that First Friday is right around the corner!

So. That brings me up to today. I woke up bright and early (well, early for me!) and dress in my business outfit. I emailed several Craigslist postings and then locate a nearby Kinko's to make copies of my Resume and Letter of Recommendation. I get the bus figured out but what I failed to remember was how the nice heels I happened to wear give me very nice blisters. After walking on them for just under 10 minutes I'm already eager to throw them out the bus window. Sigh. Too late to go back home and grab slippahs to wear in between dropping resumes off so I grin and bear it. First stop was to Hawaii Athletic Club - seemed very swanky and a very fun place to work! After that I head over to the mall and drop off a resume at Honolulu Coffee Company where I get an interview on the spot! Next Tuesday. Sweet deal. I then head down to Waikiki and drop off a few more resumes before I call it a day. My poor feet can only take so much! But all in all, I think I did well.

Tomorrow shall be another day of dropping of resumes, at least for a couple hours. If it happens to be nice outside I will most definitely be spotted on the beach. And then it'll be time for First Friday!

I'll let you know how Friday night goes, I'm sure I will have some stories!!!

Much love to you all back on the mainland-
K

1 comment:

  1. only love to those on the main land??? what about the mother land?! can i get a little love?!??

    jay kay krystabell... i KNOW you LOVE me! wanted to let you know that the second entry you posted, with pics of your room, won't open... it only teases me with your "updated" entry, on my dashboard, but it won't open. any ideas??

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete